Design for choice 🪴
Early March, I had to give a presentation as a part of my Critical Web Design class. The topic I choose was Deceptive Patterns with UX.
I remember watching The Social Dilemma and being deeply disturbed.
Deceptive Nudge Desire/Want
Choice is a fundamental expression of freedom.
I think there are conversations happening regarding the existence of free will or not.
Let’s say that every decision I make, my brain is right there with me. Neuroscience of choice. How did I choose to write these thoughts here?
- Narrator: I’m simply just observing and noting what has already been decided or chosen (happened).
- Exogenous vs. endogenous processes…
- For example… I really wanted to message my family to update them on my school graduation situation. Where did that come from?
Free will : the capacity or ability to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded
- Do we have control over our actions? What sort of control and to what extent?
- Freedom of choice vs. freedom to act
- Being responsible for one’s choices == they are the cause of their actions
- But… what about split brain patients or when brain stops functioning in localized ways?
- Determinism vs.
- Causal, logical, theological
- Compatibility Daniel Dennett] - people’s sense of responsibility & purpose
- Quantum mechanics and choice
- Statistical probability
- What is rationality?
Neuroscience of free will: volition (voluntariness) and agency (capacity to act)
- Roskies - 1. Action initiation 2. Intention 3. Decision 4. Inhibition & control 5. Phenomenology of agency